Mar 22, 2011

Exploring Adler Planetarium


My first collegiate science course was astronomy. It was not my strongest subject. So I was weary about my visit Adler Planetarium, but am glad I went. Even if I was about 10 years above their target audience.
Most of Adler's exhibits, it appeared to me, to be built for little hands who like to press buttons. Not that I didn't enjoy pressing the buttons as well, but I don't think it was designed with a graduate student in mind.
That being said, I enjoyed the history of the Apollo's, seeing the Gemini spacecraft and all those stunning photos of the galaxy (galaxies?). I believe astronomy is a very difficult subject, but the minds at Adler hit a nice balance between explaining without talking down to the audience as well as a lot of hands-on stuff and informative exhibits.

No comments: